This historic site, located about five miles north of the City of Atchison, is where the Lewis & Clark expedition camped on July 4, 1804. A pedestrian bridge over Independence Creek serves as a link on a 5-mile hiking/biking trail from the Atchison Riverfront. Other features include: an interpretive sign, geodetic marker and a replica of a Kanza Indian Earthlodge dwelling. Lewis and Clark wrote in their journals that they camped near an uninhabited village of the Kanza Indians.
The Kanza Earthlodge, trail and Lewis & Clark attractions on the Atchison Riverfront were named one of the 8 Wonders of Kansas History in 2010.